Orthodontics is a specialty in dentistry that deals with teeth diagnosis, straightening, and correction of jaw malformations commonly referred to as malocclusions. Orthodontists undergo extra years of training after graduating from dental school in order to specialize in prevention and treatment of malocclusions.
More and more people have started frequenting the orthodontists’ offices for cosmetic teeth straightening other than the conventional health concerns. There is a wide range of variety of braces suitable for various treatments and peoples’ needs. Moreover, most orthodontists seem to be more innovative in improvising new techniques and enhancing the existing methods of teeth straightening. Here is a detailed description of some of the available braces that will correct your bite and give you that desirable smile that signifies confidence.
These are the most commonly used braces across the world because they are considered sturdier and long-lasting. The orthodontist uses an arch wire to connect a series of brackets bonded to each tooth. The wire is used to exert pressure on the brackets in order to hold them into position and keep a proper alignment. In case, you have any allergies to certain metals, your orthodontist will add titanium.
- They can treat a wider variety of dental issues than other dental braces
- They are not very expensive as other braces
- They are not aesthetically pleasing
- Can be very uncomfortable to most people
Invisalign retainers are the newest types of dental braces that have attracted most people into the culture of trying out some braces. In fact, these are just plastic retainers that you can take off at night. They are specially designed for people without major crooked teeth deformities. Usually, the orthodontist carries out a non-invasive procedure of taking your teeth’s measurement before customizing plastic trays for you to wear for a while. The orthodontist will repeat the same procedure of measuring your teeth at your next appointment and give you a new set of Invisalign retainer until your teeth malformation is corrected.
- You can easily remove them during meal time or for cleaning
- They are invisible
- Aesthetically pleasing
- They don’t stain your teeth
- Your treatment can be computer-generated because they are tech
- They are expensive
- You will wear the Invisalign braces for so long; same as you’ll do with conventional braces
- It can take long for your customized order of Invisalign retainers to arrive
- They are only suitable for simple teeth treatments
They are basically formed by mixing of inorganic materials and applied by attaching them to each tooth. The orthodontist uses an arch-wire that is bound to the braces with rubber bands, to span the length of your upper and lower teeth. This permanent type of braces are the most available and widely used braces by most people. In fact, ceramic braces are fast replacing metal braces that offer a less noticeable look. Ceramic braces come in different colors hence you can choose to use a color that matches your teeth. The ceramic braces application process can be very intensive, and thus the procedure has to be carried in an orthodontist’s clinic.
- The ceramic inorganic materials have a wide range of colors that can blend with anyone’s teeth
- The mixed material is as hard as concrete hence durable
- The permanency of the ceramic braces make them comfortable over time
- Exchanging the rubber band ligatures is very easy
- They can be used comfortably on most people for various treatments
- They are expensive
- You might have to use them for a longer period as compared to other types of braces
- They are a bit larger than most permanent braces
- Not as strong as metal braces
These are the most invisible braces because they are installed on the inside of the teeth. This is the right option for you, in case you don’t want to look for a matching shade of ceramic braces. The lingual braces are applied just the same way as metal brackets, but on the inside. The installation of these braces requires specialized expertise. You ought to be thoughtful when deciding on these dental braces because they may affect your profession or day-to-day lifestyle.
- The braces are totally hidden hence no one has to know that you are undergoing some dental treatment.
- They are expensive
- They can irritate your tongue
- There are few orthodontists who conduct lingual braces installations
- You might have to wear them for a long period
- Most people don’t qualify to be right candidates for lingual braces installations
- Can interfere with your speech
The types of braces are divided into two major categories namely, removable and attached braces. Clearly, there are various pros and cons with each of the available braces. You ought to consult widely with your dentist about the braces before you decide on whether any of the available options is actually suitable for you. Besides, it’s up to the orthodontist to decide on the perfect treatment for your case; in some extreme cases, the orthodontists can decide to remove one of your teeth or change the jaw alignment through surgery. Visit at Vita Houston dental care to get more expert advice on how to straighten and make your teeth healthier for better speaking, chewing, and enhanced confidence. one of the good news for our dental patient they can schedule their appointment on Saturday week ends because our professional Katy dentist available on Saturday also.