There are steps that we need to take at home as well as going to a dental specialist for dental caring tips. Besides brushing our teeth and flossing and using mouthwash, we need to pay attention to what we eat and drink. Specific types of food and beverages help to prevent bacteria from growing in the mouth which can rise to different varieties of oral care problems. Here at Family dentist in Katy TX, we would like to provide you with a list of foods and beverages that will lead you to have good oral hygiene and a proper smile.
- Cheese- Cheese provides a good protection for tooth enamel and provides calcium and phosphorus needed to re-mineralize teeth. Re mineralization is the process by which minerals are re-deposited in tooth enamel after being destroyed by acids
- Yogurt- Yogurt is rich in calcium and protein. Yogurt has probiotics within it that benefits gums by crowding around bacteria that has cavities in it. It is recommended to choose yogurt that does not have sugar in it.
- Leafy Greens- Vegetables such as spinach and kale contain lots of vitamins and minerals and they are low in categories. They are high in calcium which strengthen the teeth’s enamel and also high in folic acid which helps to treat gum disease in pregnant women.
- Apples- They contains fiber and water. Eating apples creates saliva which rinses away bacteria and food particles in the mouth. The high water content found in apples dilutes the sugar that is contained in them.
- Carrots- Alongside apples, carrots contain fiber which increases saliva production in the mouth. That in turn helps to reduce the amount of cavities in the mouth. Carrots are also a source of Vitamin A. Read more about A Healthy Dental Diet
- Celery- is a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C which are antioxidants that help strengthen the gums. It also acts as a scraper to get rid of any food particles and bacteria that is lodged between the teeth.
- Chewing Sugarless Gum- Sugarless gum helps to get rid of food that is stuck between your teeth and increases saliva flow to neutralize acids in the mouth. This also contains ingredients that can reduce cavities as well as heal areas where cavities are beginning to form.
- Black and Green Tea– Both of these types of tea contains polyphenols which help to decrease bacteria located in the mouth. Tea is also rich in fluoride which helps strengthen teeth. It is recommended to drink these tea’s without sugar so the effects on your teeth will be much greater.
- Black Coffee- When it is unsweetened and does not have creamer in it, it helps to fight off tooth decay and plaque according to a study done by the Federal University of Rio De Janerio in Brazil.
- Cranberries- They contain polyphenols which is the same substance found in tea. It helps to get rid of plaque which also lower the risk of cavities.
In conclusion, it is important to eat a variety of foods and not just limit your diet to only one specific food group or drink. If you need to have a snack, make sure to snack on fruits and vegetables as they will give you the nutrients necessary for a healthier mouth. Also try to have food and drinks that are low on sugar and starch as that will also fight off bacteria as well. It is also important to schedule a dentist’s appointment every six months so a thorough cleaning and examination can be done of your mouth. Call or schedule an appointment online with Vita Dental. We are open from Monday through Saturday.